We are a *For-Profit* magazine with a noble aim:
Shine a light on underrepresented artists by giving free art space both thru print editions and a vibrant digital platform.
We make money by selling advertisements, direct magazine sales and crowdfunding.
Regarding payments thru our digital partner Kofi:
We utilize funds for marketing / printing of the magazine and staff. Although these sponsored funds are not tax deductible, they do go toward creating a publication that reserves 60% of its content for artists of color and other marginalized groups. It's still a worthwhile cause folks. The aim of this magazine is to bring together voices that perhaps the society hasn't heard from.
Why did we not choose a *For-Profit* model vs a *Non-Profit* ?
(Mini Disclaimer in the Disclaimer: All love and respect to *Non-Profit* Orgs. We love you and need you! )
Now - There are many reasons why we went with *For-Profit *:
1. Less Accounting
2. Creative freedom from a Board of Directors.
3. Very arcane legal and accounting rules.
4. Potentially constrictive creative content
5. The process of applying for a *Not-Profit* status is onerous and expensive.
6. Constant application for grants / loans / stipends etc.
7. Better potential income for staff and propagation of future editions of the publication.
8. This is by no means an exhaustive list.
I hope this disclaimer helps to clarify what our magazine *IS* and *IS NOT*
U Magazine LLC